[AACS] RV: Soils of the World through the Photos

Maximiliano Joaquín Eiza eiza.maximiliano en inta.gob.ar
Vie Mayo 7 13:15:06 ART 2021

Estimados colegas, en línea con la convocatoria que compartía Diego en relación al álbum mundial de fotos de perfiles por parte de Horea Cacovean desde Rumania, les comparto abajo una explicación ampliada del objetivo del proyecto de este álbum que me envía Horea.
Es una excelente oportunidad para visibilizar los suelos de todo nuestro territorio ya que está abierto quien quiera hacer envíos.
La dirección a la cual se deben hacer los envíos es: Horea Cacovean turda75 en yahoo.com<mailto:turda75 en yahoo.com>

Saludos,

Maximiliano

Ing. Agr. Maximiliano J. Eiza
Plataforma de Innovación Territorial Mar y Sierras
[Descripción: Firma]
Ruta 226 km 73.5 (7620) Balcarce. Buenos Aires. Argentina
TEL: 54 2266 439100. Int. 779

De: horea cacovean [mailto:turda75 en yahoo.com]
Enviado el: viernes, 7 de mayo de 2021 12:37
Para: Maximiliano Joaquín Eiza
Asunto: Fw: Soils of the World through the Photos

Dear Maxiliamo,
First of all I would like to apologize for my late answer. In fact, I had a very busy time on these last 3 weeks as I am involved into a National team for the Romanian Government to improve the Soil Conservation and Protection Law.  I was also honored by your email and also by your disposal to assist me in this undertaking. It means there is solidarity between the pedologists. I would be extremely happy if you could help me with some photos from Argentina.

My first idea to start this project was to present to the people (soil scientist or not), the soils with photos and less by writing a Soil Geography book with 200 pages as a text and some graphs and tables and maybe 1 or 2 with soil profile photos. People are attracted right now more by photos and they have no time to read a scientific text. So:

-       the structure of the book will be based on WRB soil classification with a correlation with Soil Taxonomy. For every Referential Soil Group (RSG) I will give on 2-3 pages with some explanation about this type of soil, summary description of the soil, regional distribution and the management and use of this soil and more specific info. Example:

Calcic Luvisols- Calcic Haplustalfs (Chaco region, Argentina)- M.J. Eiza

      Along with these explanations I will present an explanation and a correlation and with Soil Taxonomy classification. I will also present shortly what are the qualifiers of this RSG and 12 soil orders (ST). Concerning the soil profile photos my goal is to cover every qualifier (I think no more then 10-15 photos for every RSG) and the main suborders. This it will be the main structure of the book. Of course, we can improve this structure with some good ideas and for that you’re invited to give us some tips.

-       it won’t be an atlas but more a book/ album. An atlas means to cover the entire surface of the Earth planet which it’s very hard to do it especially with countries from Africa, South Asia etc. I mean, it's to receive photos from those places. But, I tried and I had a success to receive photos from many parts of the planet but, as I said to you I will try to cover a soil classification system and not to share hundreds of photos from all over the world. We must again think at the costs (a lot of money).

-      We want with this book/album to involve people to learn about the soils through the soil classification systems and with the help of the photos.

I don’t’ want to assume the property of every photo just to respond for mines. I am just the editor and not the owner of the photos and every co-author will respond for the authenticity of every photo. We won’t accept any reproduction from other books, guides, reports etc. I plan to put on a single page about 5-6 photos.
-        I already received photos from more than 100 pedologists from all over the world and it will be very difficult for me to put their names on the cover of the book. I am one of the editor and also I will contribute with my soil profile photos too but I can assure you that in the very first pages of the book I will present a list of the co- authors with their affiliation. You could send me those photos at this email address. Keep in touch. Gracias !
Best,
Horea

Dear Horea, it is an honor for me that you send me this invitation. I will be happy to search for the best soil profile photos I have ever taken. Likewise, I will share your call through the mailing list of the Argentine Association of Soil Science (AACS) in which I am a member of the Soil and Water Conservation scientific commission. The AACS has a large number of partners who will surely be able to send you their photographs of the rest of the Argentine territory. In any case, I would be grateful if you could inform me of the results of said Argentine shipments in order to make a report for the commission to which I belong. I appreciate the opportunity to be part of your world profile photo album project.

Best regards,

Maximiliano

PS: Please, could you tell me the address for sending the photographs?

Ing. Agr. Maximiliano J. Eiza
PIT MAR Y SIERRAS
EEA INTA Balcarce
Ruta 226 km 73.5 (7620) Balcarce. Buenos Aires. Argentina